Here in Florida, Snowbird Season begins in April and ends in the days following the New Year.
Not surprisingly, this is also the time when home burglaries peak.
To fully enjoy your time away, plan appropriate home security and hire us to do frequent checks on your home.
Inside the house
- Set timers on interior lights. This goes a long way in deterring burglars, who often look for crimes of opportunity. Don’t allow your house to appear as if no one is home.
- Prevent power surges. You never know if a power surge can occur, so be prepared. Disconnect the computer, TV, stereo, and other electronics, or make sure they are plugged safely into a surge protector.
- Don’t make telltale status updates. Never broadcast your location on Facebook or Twitter. Even if you think that it’s only your friends or colleagues viewing your online profiles, it’s safest not to leave any sort of opening for a possible burglar.
- Alert your alarm company that you will be hiring a Home sitter. If you have an automatic security system in place, call your representative, announcing you’ll be away from home for an extended period of time, but that you have hired someone to come in regularly. Make sure the alarm is set properly when you leave.
- Be sure to give your Home Sitter the codes and the passwords.
- Secure valuables. If you don’t already have your jewelry or other valuables in a safe deposit box, now might be the time to do so. Doing this also ensures that you don’t leave out anything valuable in plain sight that a burglar might be able to see from a window.
- Set the HVAC. Set a programmable thermostat to lower your heat or air conditioning usage and remember to change the thermostat’s battery.
- Leave phone numbers for all maintenance people with your Home Sitter, should something go wrong. Even a termite swarm will warrant a phone call from your Property Watcher.
- It might seem obvious, but double-check just to be sure. Lock all doors and windows.
Outside the house
- Arrange for lawn care. Have your landscaping tended to by a friendly neighbor or local service. Before you leave, trim tree branches that might allow access to a climbing burglar.
- Stopping mail delivery can also be a cue to would be burglers. Have us regularly pick up your mail. We can arrange to send it to you weekly or bi-weekly so that you receive important communications.
- Set exterior lights on timers to deter burglars.
- Don’t leave spare keys outdoors. Collect any hidden spare keys from around the exterior of your home. Remember, burglars know the most popular hiding places, like beneath mats and in potted plants.
- Lock the garage. Even if there is no entrance to your house from the garage, there’s still a chance for numerous things to be stolen. Secure the door and any entrances to the garage.
- Stop at GoodWill and purchase a big pair of mens shoes and leave them on the mat, outside the entrance to your home. Have your Home Sitter move them to various places.
These are just a few simple measures that you can take to secure your home. Contact Property Watch New Smyrna Beach today and we will work out a schedule to keep your home safe so that you only need to enjoy your time away.